Sunday, December 6, 2009

Great bazaars and more holiday events to come...

Spent the snowy and slushy Saturday trudging from McKinley and home and home to St' George's Episcopal...

At McKinley, I met a young 9 year old entrepreneur selling freshly squeezed lemonade and cupcakes and learned from her mother that she is an aspiring doctor/chef...these goodies were a nice pick me up after my early morning dash to Arlington to procure a blender I saw on CraigsList. Here I also managed to meet a woman who had some preserves and relishes...cannot resist the homemade stuff and bought a jar of pear preserves. The woman noted to me that the pears came from family trees down in Mississippi...music to my ears. She also was selling pralines and bought one of those too...may just have to go have that for desert now...

At St. George's I gorged myself on a Pork BBQ Sandwich, cole slaw, potato salad, corn bread, and cookies. I also enjoyed some great conversation as well. There I picked up a sweet potato pie...and the ECW ladies were working on me to buy more...I think they could read 'sucker for baked goods' all over my face because they were working it hard. I was lucky enough to walk away with just a slice of cake, some cookies and the pie.

Anyway, so I had a pretty fruitful Saturday and of course there are plenty more holiday festivities around the corner:

Ward 5 Councilmember Harry "Tommy" Thomas, Jr. will be hosting the following holiday events

Ward 5 Holiday Open House
Thursday, December 17, 2009
6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
The John A. Wilson Building
First Floor, Main Hall
1350 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Enjoy an array of delectable edibles generously provided by local DC eateries!
Featuring holiday carols sung by the DC Boys Choir, and much, much more!
Please bring an unwrapped toy or gift card for a child or teen.

Ward 5 Breakfast With Santa
Saturday, December 19, 2009
8 am to 10 am
Turkey Thicket Recreation Center
1100 Michigan Avenue, NE
Come enjoy breakfast, fun and games, a magic show, and much, much more!

Please mark your calendars to participate in Councilmember Thomas' holiday events!
To RSVP to either or both events, or for more information, please contact 202. 724. 7773 or ward5holiday @ gmail.com .

Harry "Tommy" Thomas, Jr. represents Ward 5 on the Council of the District of Columbia. Thomas chairs the Council' s Committee on Libraries, Parks, and Recreation. He sits on four additional committees: Workforc e Development and the Environment, Aging and Community Affairs, Housing and Workforce Development, and Public Services and Consumer Affairs.


No comments:

Post a Comment