Saturday, December 12, 2009

In the zone...

For much of the past week I have been in the government zone or the interview zone. Monday and Tuesday of this week saw me temping at MCC, a government agency where, as a temp, I did not have internet access. On Wednesday and Thursday, I had interviews so I was focused on nothing else but doing the best job I could on those. Of course, upon completion of those interviews, I could have done better in some areas but ultimately, it's up to a higher authority about where I go from here with respect to those two opportunities. When the next time comes around, I will go in even more prepared.

Ok, well so what's going on in Eckington? The civic association had their meeting on Monday night and, unfortunately, by the time I got home from the temp position was just too exhausted to go to the meeting. I did speak with the President, Mr. McGinn the other night and he gave me an overview of what I missed. 1) Garry Clark of North Capitol Main Street discussed the launch and progress of the new 'Safe Sentinels' team in the area...read more here. and 2) The ECA voted on a resolution about whether to support or oppose the LAYC's use of the Cook School (30 P St NW)...the resolution to oppose won by 2 votes, of course there were only something like 25 people there. (I will amend this information once I get a copy of the minutes.) I had intended to vote in support of the project so at least my vote wasn't missed.

The broader issue at stake with the Cook School redevelopment is the fact that local communities are constantly being pitted against often beneficial social programs that would like to relocate to a given neighborhood. There is clearly a need in the NE and this area certainly doesn't have a glut of these programs like Ward 8, for instance, but yet the local civic associations and ANC voted against it across the board. What seems to be the issue for folks is how this process was handled with the project being a fait accompli...having secured approval of the Mayor's office and the necessary city boards and commissions before there was any consultation with the community.
I stand ready to be corrected in my judgments and am open to letting these initial impressions evolve but this is what I see at present.

No comments:

Post a Comment