Saturday, January 23, 2010

Go local...it's good for you and for your community




Anyone who knows me can tell you what an enthusiast I am about local, sustainably produced food...although, I will be the first to admit I cannot always afford to eat that way, particularly now as I continue to search for full-time, permanent employment.

Beyond food though, I really try my best to support local businesses and I finally turned my frustration into action in the banking arena. This past week, I began moving my money out of Bank of America. My choice of where to go centered on the Library of Congress Federal Credit Union and Bank of Georgetown. In the end, I decided to go with the Bank of Georgetown...there were certain signs pointing in that direction, which I won't go into here. However, I am still considering the credit union for when I close one of my current credit cards (they just upped my rate even though I have a long and stellar history with them). That's probably still a month off but at least my deposit accounts will soon be fully supporting a local institution versus the Charlotte-based behemoth. What's ironic is that I am a BofA shareholder since late 1998. Of course, the stock has been pummeled over the last few years and I am hoping it regains a little of its value before I dump it sometime before the end of this calendar year.

Anyway, I digress...but seriously folks, consider local banks, credit unions, businesses, and other institutions when making your consumer choices. Research and study has generally found that healthy local institutions make for vital communities...as consumers we can be smart and discerning and, brick-by-brick, help build more enriching and sustainable communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment