Saturday, October 17, 2009

How did I get here? - Part II


Before I got to Eckington I had to do my time outside the District in Prince George's County...mind you, I was a stone's throw outside the District...a few minutes from Naylor Road Metro. I had located a conveniently priced sublet on CraigsList, which is getting increasingly sketchy these days. Anyway, it was good for what I needed at that stage...a roof over my head, a high speed internet connection, and walking distance to Metro. I didn't have to make too many trips into DC initially so it was cool but Metro expenses eventually began to add up and the sublet term was going to be ending before I knew it.

Of course, my original plan had been to live in River East and I am still convinced that's where I will live eventually. I had been 'stalking' this small apartment block in Congress Heights for the month or so following my decision to move to DC. I looked at them and was really impressed with the quality of the work that had recently been done in the apartment, the ample light, and the fact that the property manager lived upstairs. 2 bedrooms for about $900 in a supurb location. However, I couldn't secure that awesome apartment on my own. My parent's really were not in a position to co-sign so it was back to CL to wade through all the too good to be true apartment listings and gorgeous homes where people had to leave suddenly to go work overseas for an oil companies in Nigeria. Eventually, I came across the post for this room in Eckington.

After dashing around town to interview for my current temp position (perseverance paid off in that respect I believe), I headed on up to Eckington and the vicinity of N. Capitol and Rhode Island. This is the part of DC that Washington CityPaper in it's 'Hoods and Services' edition last May labeled 'Turrets Syndrome'...Eckington really doesn't do turrets but Bloomindale across N. Capitol does. I arrived on time but Metro's Red line was playing it's usual drama with my future housemate Brian. It was actually a good thing because it allowed me to evaluate the neighborhood...I liked the fact that there were kids playing on the sidewalks and that it was an actual residential neighborhood. The house is a brick rowhouse built in 1912 and had hardwood floors and a very nice layout...it had a cozy feel while still having enough space for me and Salish, when I got a chance to bring her down. I also enjoyed chatting with Brian and he seemed like a cool, relaxed guy. While I did run over to Arlington and check out this other place later that day, Eckington and the rowhouse had impressed.

3 comments:

  1. Your text was an excellent piece of information and learning for my students here in Rio Grande, Brazil. Thanks!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems like yesterday when we went to look at that apartment. It did work out really great and I am going to make sure you come back to River East!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did I mention I love that color blue? It's great. You should post a picture of your cat. lol.

    ReplyDelete