Sunday, October 18, 2009

...I am Brother's Keeper, I am my Sister's Keeper...

When then Senator Barack Obama uttered these words at the Democratic National Convention in Boston, Massachusetts in late July 2004, I had taken some Peace Corps vacation days and was visiting my friend Josh in Nevis. I still can't remember whether I caught the speech live or was watching a replay of it later that night at Josh's house but those words spoke to my life's purpose.

Of course, I was in the midst of the opening chapter of my decision to embark on a career in sustainable international development focused on helping rural communities to not only survive but also thrive in an increasingly inhospitable 21st Century globalized environment. I was essentially 6 months into my Peace Corps term but looking back, nearly every piece of my life prior had built me for those experiences. I was fortunate to have a loving family by my side as I endured childhood travails and key mentors as I began the long and slow process of recovery. To quote Paul's Letter to the early Christians at Philippi:

"Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Foregtting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead..."

So as an imperfect vessel, I navigate life's turbulent waters constantly aware that I have an obligation to contribute where I can. As I am now in DC, it's only natural that I look to see how I can be meaningfully engaged in this urban, largely African-American milieu. Again, my previous experiences have built to this. Having spent three years in the Caribbean, I am a young Caucasian man who is more in tune than most when it comes to comfort and familiarity with being a minority. I by no means claim to be an expert or claim some special exemption in this area, but as I did today, I can go into an African-American church and feel relatively comfortable where most white folks would feel awkward (and that's based primarily on the different styles of worship). Of course, generally the Sunday church service is considered one of the most segregated hours in the country. This church, Franklin P. Nash UMC, will likely become my church home here in DC for the time being. I will still make occasional forays to Foundry and, eventually, I will get myself over to the National Cathedral for Evensong, but I will be the white guy in the African-American church for the time being...just like when I was in the Caribbean.

This week, I made some progress with learning more about tutoring and/or mentoring opportunities at local DC schools. Right now, I am looking at helping out at either Hyde Leadership Public Charter School or Thurgood Marshall Academy (also a charter school). Hyde is 2 or so blocks from the house here and TMA is over in Anacostia. Chatting with the contact at TMA, I came in just a hair too late for the mentoring program but he would like to at least get me cleared and then, if a mentor drops, I might be able to fill in. With Hyde, they have a Saturday academy...tutoring for middle and high school students. The contact I made there is checking with some of the teachers to see if there is a need for me in that capacity. If these don't work out, there are many other organizations and schools around the city (and even the neighborhood) where I could help out at...so one way or another, I will find a way to support the youth here.

No comments:

Post a Comment