Tuesday, October 13, 2009

How did I get here?

So how did I land in Eckington and DC? Well, to be completely honest it feels like I am meant to be here...you might say, part of God's plan of whatever higher being you might ascribe such interventions to.

DC was farthest from my mind when I received my Master's in Sustainable International Development this past Spring. Ironic, I know...all the jobs are here or in NYC, unless I was prepared to head abroad but I actually wanted to head west again...Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, maybe Seattle. I had a few friends who had recently moved to Wyoming, my grandparents are in Colorado and Montana had always interested me. Reality struck...jobs of interest were few and far between and so by early July I began doing my research on DC to see what it might offer me. What I had been searching for out West, beyond the obvious job, was a community vibe and a place to feel rooted during my next 3-5 years in the US. I felt DC might just be a constraining urban jungle

Thanks to the cool bloggers over in River East however (Congress Heights on the Rise, Barry Farm (Re)mixed, and And Now, Anacostia) who reminded me once again that Seattle had been a great environment for me because I had a community of friends around me and it offered me the opportunity to give of myself. Regardless of where I ended up, I could still find community and connection. While I gave myself some more time to ponder DC, it was becoming clear that I could accomplish numerous personal and professional objectives, while maintaining proximity to my family and to my 'fanmi Dominitjen' back in the Eastern Caribbean.

To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh!!! Thanks for the shout out and I am going to check out your blog daily!

    ReplyDelete