Sunday, February 7, 2010

The local Safeway predicament...

Safeway was my favorite grocery store when I lived in Seattle but since coming to DC, I have not been as impressed with the stores here. I would still shop at the one on Rhode Island but the produce selection was often lacking and the checkouts seemed too few (w/ no self-checkout) for the volume of business the place receives. I do like the location though as the Giant (having to go under the railroad overpass) often seems farther than I want to journey when I just need to pick up a few items on the spur of the moment. Anyway, it's with good reason that I viewed this Safeway with a bit of skepticism (compared to the ones in Seattle)...several weeks ago they found evidence of a rodent infestation at the store and were ordered to close on the spot by the health inspector.

You can read the full report here.

Of course, I am a little behind on this story between temping and some positive leads on the job front so my apologies. The store subsequently reopened two days later...

But now word is the store will be closing permanently...News Channel 8 reports here. Of course, the article outlines how they are loosing quite a bit of business to Giant but as many people interviewed mentioned and I concur, the Safeway is in a more convenient location than the Giant for those who are traveling via foot or bus. If you're hopping off MetroRail at the RI Avenue station, Giant is convenient but other than that, the store is essentially geared towards folks who drive. Word on the street is that another grocery store may take Safeway's place but the size of the space and the existing dynamics cited as the reasons for closing would remain unchanged so not sure what other grocery purveyor would be able to succeed in that environment. While I now will have a bit longer grocery store run at least I won't need to worry about rodents cavorting with my food.

No comments:

Post a Comment